Thursday 26 February 2015

Influential Event

NUSSU Rag & Flag is a campus-wise charity project that aims to bring together students from various faculties in NUS. This fund-raising event ends off with a grand display of floats and dance performances put up by each faculty. When I first entered college, I joined this freshmen orientation project as a dancer. While it burnt my holidays away, I had no regrets sacrificing my last few weeks of "freedom" in this new school to train hard for the performance. When it ended, I knew that I would return to give back to the NUS Arts RAG family.

In the following year, I signed up as a choreographer for the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences. It was definitely not a smooth-sailing journey and I witnessed an entirely different sight. There were many ups and down, frustrations, moments of joy, stresses and extremely messy disorganization but through it all, we managed to pull through the ordeal. As mentioned, I initially started off the RAG process as a choreographer. Hence, it came as a surprise when I was given the job as performance I/C along the way. My job scope widened up and it encompassed over-seeing the other aspects of the performance as well - administrative duties, music and costumes.

I had to deal with the welfare of the 50 dancers, organization of the performance and ensuring smooth progress of costume-making, music edits and props movement, it was no easy task. It was a challenge I knew I had to conquer, somehow. I am so grateful of the the wonderful team I was tagged with. Though we had a rough start, our common goal brought us together to battle the endless, tiring nights of building, sewing and dancing.

Alongside the hectic RAG preparations, I was juggling rehearsals for a dance concert as well as an external dance competition. It was a feat I thought was way beyond the bounds of my capabilities but, I survived through it and I came out as a stronger individual. Even though I was stretched from all angles - physically, mentally and emotionally, I appreciated the "test" to my limits. My friends told me I was crazy to sign up for all those commitments within a single summer holiday period, but I did enjoy myself because I was doing something that I love - dance.

Indeed, the quote "nothing is impossible" was transformed into reality and made me realized any human being is capable of achieving what is beyond imaginable because it is the state of mind that sets the limits. If I tell myself I can do it, it means I can.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aisyah,

    I really admire your commitment and passion to dance and I think you have articulated those ideas, as well as your summer journey, very well throughout the essay. I liked the detailed description of what your commitment actually meant. The ideas are well developed and it was an enjoyable read for me.

    On a second read, I felt that you could summarize the gist of what you’re saying in the last para, in the first para so that readers can get an idea of the direction of the essay. With regard to grammar, I only felt that this sentence could be changed to ensure uniformity- “I had to deal with the welfare of the 50 dancers, organization of the performance and ensuring smooth progress…”. The ensuring doesn’t match the other actions.

    All in all, well done  I really enjoyed reading this essay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aisyah,

    Admire your courage to step out of your comfort zone to take on a challenge that you seemed daunting to you. Indeed, as long as we believe in ourselves, the skies the limit.

    Additionally from your essay, i can see your passion towards dancing. I believe that this passion is the fuel that allowed you to pull through those moments, where you thought that you were not up to task. Im sure throughout all the various times you spent handling the adminstrative matters and welfare, it has also broaden your perspective about what you can expect from the professional work dance industry. Perhaps it might shape your future career ?

    Keep up this mindset, i'm sure you a bright future awaits you.

    Regards
    Boon :)

    ReplyDelete